THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN ARMY 1914-18
FOR COLLECTORS OF ITS POSTAL ITEMS
I have drawn upon the following published sources, as well as on many private, unpublished papers.
- Österreich-Ungarns Letzter Krieg 1914-18, in German, seven volumes with maps and other appendices, published 1930-38 by Verlag Militärwissenschaftlichen Mitteilungen Wien.
- Heerwesen Österreich-ungarn, in German, two volumes, by Hugo Schmid Edl.v.Boneti kuk Generalmajor, published 1917 by the author, Wien.
- Fighting Troops of the Austro-Hungarian Army 1868-1914, in English, by James Lucas, published by Spellmount Ltd in the UK, and by Hippocrene Books in the USA, both in 1987.
- Austro-Hungarian Infantry 1914-18, in English, by JS (James) Lucas, published 1973, by Almark Publications in the UK.
- Handbuch der Feld- u.Militärpost in Österreich, in German, by Alfred Clement, published in part by the author at Graz 1964; never completed.
- Spezial-Katalog der Feld- u.Etappenpoststempel v. Österreich-Ungarn 1914-18, in German, with English introduction, by Viktor Majetic, published by the author 1965, and republished by Postilion Publications, a division of Roger Koerber Inc, Southfield, Maryland USA.
- Austro-Hungarian APOs 1914-18, in English, by Keith Tranmer, revised edition published 1973 by the author in the UK.
- Die Karnische Front v. 1915-17, in German, by Reg. Rat. Hans Riedel, published 1988, by Arbeitsgemeinschaft Militaria Austriaca Philatelia, Wien.
- The Eastern Front 1914-17, in English, by Professor Norman Stone, published by Hodder and Stoughton in the UK
- White Heat - The New Warfare 1914-18, in English, by John Terraine, published 1982, by Sidgwick and Jackson, in the UK.
- Foreign Policy of the Great Powers - From Sadowa to Sarajevo, The Foreign Policy of Austria-Hungary 1866-1914, in English, by FR Bridge, published 1972 by Routledge and Kegan Paul, in the UK.
- Fontana History of Europe: Europe Transformed 1878-1919, in English, by Professor Norman Stone, published by Fontana Paperbacks, in the UK.
- The Habsburg Monarchy 1809-1918, in English, by AJP Taylor, published 1985, by Penguin Books in association with Hamish Hamilton, in the UK.
Last updated 17 Nov 2000